Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Driving in snow


I was driving to work today in the tail end of a typical Eastern winter storm, about 6 inches of snow already on the ground and sleet and freezing rain were falling. The roads wern't in the best condition and I was thinking about how much I missed my old "Bachlor SUV" with the four-wheel drive. the new "Family compact" just didn't cut it in rough conditions. I slipped a few times and after the inital heart attack, the adrenoline kicked in and I remebered how much fun it was to purposly slide and lose control. 10 years ago I would have found an empty parking lot (or street) and see haw many times I could get the car to completly spin in a circle or see how far I could slid after slamming on the breaks or even crash into a snow drift...just for fun.

Just then, as the child in me was starting to daydream about building snowmen in the middle of the street and running them over (which looking back was kinda sick) some idot flies past me doing like 100 mph. He was from another state where not being able to drive is built into the genetic code of its residents, and immediatly the adult in me began to curse him up, down and sideways. Is it wrong that I was kinda wishing he would loose control and smash his pretty little Lexus into the center barrier? Probably...I'm sure on the drive home I'll try to do a few slides, or not.

1 comment:

  1. when i was younger my brother used to bring me to these places that were filled with ice, and we used to spin around for hours until the car finally took root and we would leave. wow, i haven't thought of that in ages

    ReplyDelete